Why Study in the United Kingdom (UK)?
- The United Kingdom is a very popular study destination for overseas students.
- The UK has more than 100 universities and around 165 higher education institutions including universities and colleges.
- With ancient and traditional universities such as Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, University College London to modern universities, the UK offers something for every student in a variety of subject areas.
- Taught Master courses are only for 1 year.
- Most undergraduate (bachelors) degrees are for 3 years in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Scotland has some excellent universities, a different education system than the rest of the UK and a 4-year undergraduate degree.
Studying and Living in the UK
The UK is a great place to study in with excellent quality of institutions and a strong tradition of research, it offers an excellent learning experience. How can you ensure that your time in the UK as a student is well spent?
Studying and learning
This is an extremely important aspect that you will need to work on. In the UK the teaching and learning style is very different from that in Kurdistan and Iraq. You will be expected to do extensive reading, researching and be able to express your arguments in a logical and convincing way. Mostly the emphasis is on how to think rather than what to think.
Settling down to your new life as a student in the UK
Once you arrive in the UK you will need to take care of many things before you get busy with your classes and study. Most institutions will organize an orientation day /week for international students where you will be introduced to the institution, class timetable, accommodation, health and money matters. We recommend that you arrive at your institution in time to attend this orientation as it will help you settle in faster. BES - Study Abroad holds Pre-departure briefings to help students prepare well for life as a student in the UK.
Organizing your study
You may find the Education System in the UK very different from what you are used to in Kurdistan and Iraq. For one you will be expected to do a lot of self-study and contribute with active participation in classroom discussions. You will get assignments that you have to submit within the stipulated time neatly typed. Please note that plagiarism is a serious offence in the UK.
When it comes to finding somewhere to live you will find that most institutions will guarantee accommodation provided you have applied by the deadline date. If you are looking for an alternative, private accommodation available outside the university campus we can also help you finding a suitable one for you and they may work out to be much cheaper. However, remember to factor in costs of transport to and from the university, utility bills for electricity, heating, internet etc. You must travel to the UK 1-2 weeks before your course starts so that you have enough time to look for private accommodation. Therefore, we recommend you to arrange your accommodation earlier.
List of UK universities
- Queen’s University – Belfast
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- The University of Manchester
- Newcastle University
- Newcastle University – London Campus
- City University London
- St. Georges University of London
- University of East Anglia
- University of Exeter
- University of Gloucestershire
- University of Stirling
- University of Huddersfield
- Queen Mary University
- Heriot Watt University
- Northumbria University
- University of Manchester Metropolitan
- Writtle College University – Partner of Essex University
- Glyndwr University
List of institutions providing foundation, A-level, Diploma, and Language courses in the UK:
- New College Manchester
- Oxford Education
- International House (Ih)
- Calderdale College
- Wimbledon School of English
- Oxford Royal Academy
- The London School of English
- INTO - City University London
- INTO - Glasgow Caledonian University
- INTO - Manchester
- INTO - Newcastle University
- INTO - Queens University Belfast
- INTO - St Georges University of London
- INTO - UEA London
- INTO - University of East Anglia
- INTO - University of Exeter
- INTO - University of Gloucestershire
- INTO London, World Education Centre
- INTO Newton A-Level Programme
- INTO London World Education Center